I'm still trying to get away with not using a repo manager. I can always right
a perl script to update the maven-metadata.xml files, but if something already
existed, I would prefer that.  This is what's in it after a deploy (group id
and artifact id changed):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><metadata>
  <groupId>com.pervasive.component</groupId>
  <artifactId>artifact-distribution</artifactId>
  <version>4.0.2.11</version>
  <versioning>
    <versions>
      <version>4.0.2.11</version>
    </versions>
    <lastUpdated>20090401013925</lastUpdated>
  </versioning>
</metadata>

Yea, it's the maven-metadata.xml in the artifactId directory, sorry I was not
clear on that.  Basically the file gets recreated as if the maven-metadata.xml
file was not there before.  This just wipes out all of the other version in the
maven-metadata.xml file that had been created.  I opened a bug here:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEPLOY-99

FWIW, Maven 2.1.0 and maven-deploy-plugin 2.4.

-Jim