Using maven 2.0.10, I ran into the maven-eclipse-plugin 2.6 bug fix
that excludes anything not Java from being on the classpath. I didn't
upgrade my eclipse plugin, and thought that as of 2.0.8 the root pom
specifies stable plugins for each release. Apparently,
maven-eclipse-plugin is not amongst the listed, fixed plugins, since I
got version 2.6 today.

Is there a reason why the eclipse plugin is not part of the root pom
specification?

The effective pom for my project suggests that the following plugins
have a version specified in the root pom:

maven-antrun-plugin:1.3
maven-assembly-plugin:2.2-beta-2
maven-clean-plugin:2.2
maven-compiler-plugin:2.0.2
maven-dependency-plugin:2.0
maven-deploy-plugin:2.4
maven-ear-plugin:2.3.1
maven-ejb-plugin:2.1
maven-install-plugin:2.2
maven-jar-plugin:2.2
maven-javadoc-plugin:2.5
maven-plugin-plugin:2.4.3
maven-rar-plugin:2.2
maven-release-plugin:2.0-beta-8
maven-resources-plugin:2.3
maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-7
maven-source-plugin:2.0.4
maven-surefire-plugin:2.4.3
maven-war-plugin:2.1-alpha-2

And I know that it is prudent to have a version specified for each
build to ensure reproducability (as evidenced by todays hunt after the
inadvertent upgrade to eclipse 2.6)

Martijn