Having the release plugin translate these values at release time
_before_ the validation build and tag is the only sane way to use them.
I currently have never use them because they aren't repeatable.

From: Hayes, Peter [mailto:peter.ha...@fmr.com]
Sent: Monday, April 06, 2009 12:12 PM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: RE: LATEST and RELEASE release version management

Graham Leggett wrote:

>Having said that, it makes no sense to have the release plugin care
>about LATEST, because by definition, building against LATEST isn't
>repeatable, and in order for there to be a release, you need the build
>to be repeatable.

I think this does impact the release plugin as it could offer the
ability to resolve the LATEST version at release time.  These builds
would be reproducible because the release plugin tags the poms during
the release process.

I think what you're saying is that the build prior to the release build
is not guaranteed to have the same dependent artifacts as the release
build.  I care about the release build being reproducible.

Pete