> In a previous company, the snapshots were not used by qa, all
> deliveries to qa where release builds. We used a 4 digit
> versioning where the last number was just a build number. We
> did this because it wasn't known ahead of time if a given
> build would pass qa and be officially released. How you use
> the system is up to your individual requirements.

Right. This is the "continuous release" strategy I was alluding to in my
previous email.  Because of the way Maven versions and releases work,
this makes SNAPSHOTs less valuable when using this release strategy. So
say you have 10 minor releases before a major. Anyone using a SNAPSHOT
version would have to change the version in all their POMs to truly
point to the latest development version.

This is why I think the way you guys have done it with Nexus (ie: QA
taking SNAPSHOTS) matches more closely to how Maven currently works.