Yes file:///tmp/website would work but not for the child modules; its in the
child that I have the issue.

I got it working by specifying the parent folder as two levels up from each
child (module).  (it seems there should be a maven property to get this
directly in the child.)

Actually /target/website worked fine because I'm deploying to a subfolder
after everything else is done.  Then our CI (TeamCity) picks up the contents
from here and publishes the entire website for us, so we just use this as a
temp folder.

T-Dave