There is a very quick tutorial on the Maven site which should get you up and
running with a very basic pom file and standardised directory structure.

You can find it here:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.html

You don't actually need a settings.xml file to run Maven so I would suggest
that you delete/move the one you have created and go through the tutorial.
Once you have finished that you will have a Maven project which will
retrieve your dependencies from the main Maven site. It will then be easy to
create a settings.xml file to use your Nexus repository.

If you have problems, you will need to post the details of the error message
that you receive.