I've been using maven for a while now, but have finally had to go deeper
then just the basics of a pom file.  As a result I now am curious about the
internal workings of maven.

I understand that there are phases to a build, and that each phase is
composed of goals. I also understand that plug-ins can add new goals to the
list of goals to be accomplished/dispatched in a phase.

My questions are all about goals.

How are goals ordered in a phase?

What determines the order in which a set of goals are dispatched?

Can that ordering be seen?
Can it be changed?
When a new goal is added to a phase how is it placed in the list of goals
for that phase, first, last, indeterminate?

Curious minds want to know.

Tony

PS I've done a fair amount of reading  but haven't really found anything on
this topic. If you can point me to something that answers my questions, that
would ROCK.