I have written a couple of plugins to aid documentation that I would like to
make available.  Both generate docbook documents, where one extracts
snippets from Java source code and the other is actually a JavaDoc Doclet
that extracts the comments and converts them to well formed XML.  These
documents, or more likely sections from them, can then be included in hand
written documents using the xinclude element, allowing the documentation to
include compiled and working code and the current JavaDoc comments.

Both suffer from the same the problem though, where to execute them and how
to access the generated documentation. In our project we have a module for
documentation and a module for example code.  In other cases you might have
the snippets being extracted from other modules. Now if the plugin executes
within those modules then the output, which then becomes the documentation's
input, ends up in the code modules.  These leads to unwieldy paths in the
document's xinclude statements within the documentation module, and of
course the documentation cannot be built in isolation.

An alternative I have just tried is to run the plugin with the documentation
module, specifying the source as in another module and then placing the
results in the document's  src directory (specifically src/main/extracts).
This directory is excluded from Subversion so it is never checked in.

As I said, both seem wrong to me, having many inconveniences. First off, is
there a "more Maven" type solution to this set up? And, what should the
input and output default to?  (Presently they are the module's src/main/java
and target directories.)

Regards
Robert Matthews

PS I'll check out the documentation on making available/submitting a plugin
and you can try it out.