Thanks Brian, this led me on the right path.  Still... it'd be nice if the
repositories feature of assemblies would work for a multi-module project.

So I ended up with this in my parent pom:

            <plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <copyPom>true</copyPom>
                    <useRepositoryLayout>true</useRepositoryLayout>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

            <plugin>
                <version>2.2-beta-3</version>
                <configuration>
                    <finalName>m2-repo</finalName>
                    <appendAssemblyId>false</appendAssemblyId>
                    <descriptors>
                        <descriptor>src/maven-assembly-repo.xml</descriptor>
                    </descriptors>
                </configuration>
            </plugin>

and my maven-assembly-repo.xml descriptor looks like this:
<assembly xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.0.0.xsd";>
    <id>repository</id>
    <formats>
        <format>zip</format>
    </formats>
    <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
    <moduleSets>
        <moduleSet>
            <sources>
              <includeModuleDirectory>false</includeModuleDirectory>
              <fileSets>
                <fileSet>
                  <directory>target/dependency</directory>
                </fileSet>
              </fileSets>
            </sources>
        </moduleSet>
    </moduleSets>
</assembly>

Thanks everyone for trying to help.  BTW... it DID occur to me to
temporarily use an empty local repo and then zip it when I'm done with a
build.  That would be pragmatic to get a solution quick but it felt a bit
sloppy and I wanted a better solution.

~ David Smiley