Hello,
I'm working on a Maven Reporting plugin that depends on a set of binaries to do
its work, but I haven't been able to find a way to package those binaries with
my plugin, and extract them for use at runtime. Ideally, I'd like to store the
binaries and some associated configuration files, etc. in the plugin's
src/main/resources directory, and when the plugin is invoked, the binaries
would be extracted to the output directory of whatever project is calling the
plugin.

The obvious solution would be to include the plugin itself in the project's
dependencies, and then use the maven-dependency-plugin to extract the binaries
directly from the plugin jar. However, I need to be able to invoke the plugin
without modifying the project's POM.

So far, I've tried the following:

- Create a separate package for the binaries, which the plugin includes as a
runtime dependency. In the Plugin's POM, I configured the dependency plugin to
extract the binary package, but when the plugin is invoked from a separate
project, the package doesn't get extracted.

- Manually extract the contents of the plugin's .jar file as part of its own
executeReport() method. This didn't work because the Artifact for my plugin as
returned by MavenProject.getReportArtifacts() doesn't contain a reference to
the actual jar file (Artifact.getFile() returns null). I also tried manually
looking up the Artifact using an ArtifactFactory, but I can't see any way to
properly construct an instance of or obtain a reference to an ArtifactFactory
from within a plugin.

Is there a simple solution that I'm overlooking here? At this point, I'm out of
ideas, and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

--Ian