Well, I'd say it totally depends on your organization. But I guess you could
begin by putting the dependencies used very widely (e.g. commons-lang?) in
your top pom.

About your second sentence, well I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I
guess you know that the parent pom will indeed be present locally, be it in
the local maven repository or as a project you'll depend on.

Cheers