I am working in a sort of bastardized Eclipse-maven world for months now. I have had for months a M2_REPO variable in Eclipse pointing to a local Maven repository. I know this is not the approved Maven way, but it has worked for me for months without difficulty. Now, without having made any upgrades to Maven, Eclipse, or anything else, my M2_REPO variable has disappeared and NOTHING I do allows me to put it back. Eclipse appears to allow me to add this variable, point it at the proper location, and apparently save it without complaint, yet when I look at my Eclipse variables immediately thereafter, the variable is gone.

Without the variable present building my war does not include everything it needs, because it can't find all the jars it needs.

What could possibly have happened to put me in this state?

(Eclipse = Ganymede and I do have the M2Eclipse plugin installed).