In general mbuni cannot tell what the maximum message size a device can handle, until the device tries to fetch the message (thereby sending the User Agent Profile data). It might be best to go with the  config parameter option as you suggested.

 The problem with your other rejections seems to have to do with the From address being included in the notification (and containing a stray ") . In general, set the optimize-notification-size config parameter to true while we figure out what's going wrong...

P.