Hi,

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 6:37 PM, John Plocher <john.ploc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Newbie question:  What's the difference/relationship between netty and
> mina?  They share many similarities, but mina seems stuck trying to get its
> docs and examples updated from 1.0 to 2.0, while netty comes across as more
> active and up to date.   I'm new to both, and having a blast with mina, but
> I'm wondering where the community energy is focused...

Here is my (I am a former Mina user and now Netty user) perception:
Trustin Lee, who was the main driving force behind Mina, left the
project some years ago because of attitude issues with some other
members of the project (in a community, things like this happen) and
started Netty to further push his ideas of a good java network
library. Since then, because I was using the "Mina core" (for writing
my own codecs) and not its subprojects like ftpd, sshd and so on, Mina
was pretty much dead to me, IMO most of the visible real development
(new features, API improvements) took place in the subprojects which
doesn't matter to me.

Netty, on the other hand, started with an amazing pace and is still
delivering new releases with new features every few months. As far as
I know, Netty is not a Jboss paid project, Trustin claims to take care
of it in its spare time, also there are some other people working from
time to time on it, so what Emmanuel said is supposedly not true. From
my users perspective, Netty is clearly the better choice because it
has a cleaner API and is much more documented. (btw. I am not paid to
write this ;) I just think Netty is really useful)

hth,
christian