You can find a real working example of using the client side in Apache Karaf:

https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/trunk/client/src/main/java/org/apache/karaf/client/Main.java

The basic idea is to open a channel which is either a "shell" channel
for an interactive session or an "exec" channel to execute a single
command and exit without any user interaction.
The channel has an input stream and two output streams (out and err)
which you can set to redirect to the default System.out and System.err
or to your own in-memory stream or whatever kind of streams you want.

--
Guillaume Nodet