If during processing I make a remote call to another machine (in this case JMS
message or SOAP message) the SSH/SFTP connection is dropped to my SFTP client.
Is there something I can change to remedy this?

Example 1:

1)      Connect to Apache SSHD using SFTP client

2)      Authenticate method is reached

3)      Remote SOAP call is made to OpenAM to do the authentication

4)      SSHTools SFTP client connection is dropped

Example 2 (after I make authenticate always return true):

1)      Connect to Apache SSHD using SFTP client

2)      Authentication returns true and a SSH session is started

3)      Sftpsubsystem tries to query database to get user's home directory

4)      SSHTools SFTP client connection is dropped