I've added my own RosterManager that connects to my existing database.
 Each user has a list of friends they will automatically be subscribed to.
 I'm just querying my database and populating the roster from that data.
 Optionally, the users may remove friends or add friends.  I can see the
roster, I just can't see the presence notifications.  IN other words, the
list always appears as offline.  Not sure why this is, though.