I think that it is a client issue rather than a server issue.

Please read: See: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/FTP-3.html

Or the documentation for the client that you are using to contact the
FTP server. Maybe your client is defaulting to ASCII mode if it doesn't
know how to handle a file type/extension.

Maybe your client has a mask/filter where you already have something
like "*.jpg = binary", and you can ass "*.fpo = binary".