You should also check your firewall, especially in production: It may happen
that the firewall blocks outgoing requests.

I normally change the dtd-references to local references: I usually package
the dtd's for the specs I use with the web-app. I vaguely remember that
there is a switch somewhere to turn off the validation, but this is actually
a quite useful feature that produces some meaningful errors when your
web.xml is screwed up.