I have since checked x:commandLink and it does exactly what I thought.
 Also, just so you know, you will have the same issue with RI (with no
workaround.)  The spec does not allow the onclick attribute for
command link (that is why its in the "extended" components of MyFaces
as opposed to the core section.)

sean