From: Aaron Bartell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 9:11 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Where to store DB connection in JSF session

Up to today I have been storing my Hibernate db connection in a session
bean called DBConn, but I am finding that it is timing out quite often
even though I have database connection pooling setup through Tomcat JNDI

(using MySQL as DB).

What I am wondering is what practices others use in storing their DB
connection in JSF apps.  My thought is to grab a new connection at each
request vs trying to store it in the FacesContext. I was going to do
this by utilizing phase listeners - open my Hibernate session in the
"Restore View" phase and close the session in the "Render Response"
phase.  This way there is no way I will ever get a timed out DB
connection is what I am thinking.

What are other's thoughts on this, and what are others doing for a
scalable DB connection mechanism?

TIA,
Aaron Bartell

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that the DnB NOR Group
cannot accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.