Werner Punz wrote:

Richard Wallace wrote:

Actually, on reflection, I can't really think of a good way to get everything I want for free anyways. I think I will need to develop a custom component, probably something that is composed of other existing UI elements. The three primary use cases I'm looking at currently are a dynamic, editable table with at least 2 text fields where rows can be added/removed without the need to roundtrip to the server, an editable, dynamic table with a drop down list and a text field in a row where rows can be added/removed without roundtripping and an element where a user can add multiple file upload elements without having to roundtrip. i don't really see a way this can all be done in JSF without using custom elements.

Of course, I'm open to suggestions.

Not really suggestions, I see it as you, there is no real free lunch in this case, but hard work.

But there is a small project on sourceforge which already has an ajax component in place, not something as sophisticated as what you want to do, but you can check it out it might give you a headstart with your things (and also a small push towards donating code yourself if you want :-), your components sound interesting )

I have looked at those components. Very neat. I'm a little curious why you didn't use the DWR library (http://www.getahead.ltd.uk/dwr/index.html) for doing the AJAX stuff. I'll definitely consider donating the code and it shouldn't be a problem, just have to clear it with the higher ups.

the project is http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsf-comp the only ajax component currently is an autocomplete field, which basically does some element tinkering (blends in a filled div on demand which simulates a drop down box), also there is an excellent OO javascript library which is under MIT license, which delivers some effects and good ajax classes.

The ajax component however does not use the Prototype OO lib yet, it still uses a somewhat hackish messy code which was taken from the Sun blueprints catalog and hacked in no time to IE compatibility.

Also there is the Sun blueprints catalog which has some ajax stuff in there already, on java.net.