I personally think subclassing UISelectMany would be the best way, because you have to deal with all the converter stuff and the result is similar to a UISelectMany component. But it depends on what requirements you have.

You can also create subcomponents by code and/or use an existing render of standard components (at Renderer interface level). This explained by KITO D. MANN in the online appendix of "JavaServer Faces in Action".

Mathias