I think your problem is that you are opening the window with an
*onclick* javascript even.  This has nothing to do with the JSF
lifecycle.  The regular commandLink approach (without using onclick)
works because you post back (via a form) to the same page.  In your
case you are just opening the page in a new window.  How would JSF
know the new values from that?

sean