If you point to a request bean, then I'd expect that bean to be
recreated every request.   If you point to a session bean, then it'll
hang around until your session ends, so that seems to make sense.

How are you saving state for your component?  What's the contents of
your saveState/restoreState?

Maybe you need to save the currently-selected link as part of the
state of your navigation component.