I generate and cache my list of SelectItems once per request.
I wasn't really concerned about performance, but I wanted the lists to
remain constant over the full duration of the request.

You can always add additional caching easy enough after performance
becomes an issue.
No point in optimizing unless there's a problem.

-Mike