After putting ids on all the elements in the tables (including <h:column>, <h:outputText> and <h:outputLink> elements) the problem seems to have gone away.

I think the element it was choking on was a link that was outside any forms. So only parent it would have had was the <f:view> element. That should be okay right? JSF elements don't all have to be within <h:form> elements do they?

Rich

Martin Marinschek wrote:

The thing with the duplicate id's is only one possible reason.

you should look at the component path that is indicated - according to that, your component would need to be a top-level object - it does not have any parent object at all?

regards,

Martin