Yes that stuff is under rewrite as we speak.  Make sure you are using
the latest nightly build b/c whatever you are doing with 1.0.9 may
break (it shouldn't but its better to use the nightly at this point
since we are close to releasing.)

We're working on adding support to expand particular node paths, etc.
Take a look at the latest source and feel free to suggest a patch to
accomplish what you are talking about.  There are a few people
requesting this type of feature.

If you aren't able to supply a patch but have some ideas, feel free to
post them.

sean