Interesting, notice how the approach in the tutorial uses commandLink
with the parameters being passed in the link. It makes a lot of sense
to me to do it this way, but it seems that JSF doesn't really
encourage the applications to be designed this way. Notice how you
have to do this kind of stuff...

/*
         * Get the session map of the external context
         */
        Map session =
FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().getExternalContext().getSessionMap();

        /*
         * Find the UIParameter component by expression
         */
        UIParameter component = (UIParameter)
event.getComponent().findComponent("deleteId");

--
Rick