Say I have 10 columns in a table. I need to set the width of just the 5 column. It seems like I'd have to make up classes for each column (or at least the first 4) just so that I can define a style for the 5th column to give it a width? Shouldn't h:column except a "style" attribute so I can manually set a particular column's style?

According to the spec for columnClasses on dataTable:

Comma-delimited list of CSS style classes that will be applied to the columns of this table. A space separated list of classes may also be specified for any individual column. If the number of elements in this list is less than the number of columns specified in the "columns" attribute, no "class" attribute is output for each column greater than the number of elements in the list. If the number of elements in the list is greater than the number of columns specified in the "columns" attribute, the elements at the posisiton in the list after the value of the "columns" attribute are ignored.

--
Rick