Ah I just googled, the AbstractViewController is Shale,
that explains a lot ;-)...

Craig if you read this, I thought that one point of JSF was
to get rid of the Form-Action division of struts towards a more
generalized approach?
Does the AbstractViewController do something special in Shale or
is it simply a class to ease the transition from Struts
and enforce MVC?

Werner

Werner Punz wrote:
Looks quite good,
but one thing struck me...
Your structure is very Struts like, which is not really needed.

 >extends AbstractViewController

you wont need that in JSF unless you have something really
important down there, which you have to reuse

also you wont need to think in actions and forms (beans)
like you do in struts, everything is a backing bean.
A divided MVC approach is very viable, but
you also can use a simplified combined model controller approach.
Sun uses this strategy in their studio creator
to enable a Visual basic like handling of the backend code.

Rick Reumann wrote:

Eventually I want to turn this small example into a walk through lesson/tutorial. Before I get to that point, I could really use the help of those that know what they are talking about to look over this example and provide suggestions on how to fix it up. Since I'm new to JSF/MyFaces, I'm sure there are some things that could be done better.

This won't be the final look and feel of the site, it's just for working through the suggestions and improvements on this example..

http://www.reumann.net/reumann/jsf/jsf_employees/

You can click on the source code of most of the files from the left menu frame or you could download the source, war, whatever.

Let's not put all those answers you gave to my noob questions go in vain:)