So you are saying that a managed bean could be initialized outside of any request/response cycle?! Explain.
And even then, it is the responsibility of the programmer. No probs, if he does something funny, the app will crash always, so he'll notice on his first test.

On 27 Sep 2005, at 15:57, Nebojsa Vasiljevic wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: ir. ing. Jan Dockx
To: MyFaces Discussion
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2005 11:49 PM
Subject: --> 1.1.0: 'lifetime' of the "param" is shorter than that of the managed bean

[...] There is a message that the 'lifetime' of the "param" is shorter than that of the managed bean.

That's true, for sure. There is some method to this madness ;-). I don't know whether this is needed for spec compliancy (I think not though), but all in all, it is not true. Sure the lifetime of param is shorter than that of session, but that is not the issue. What we need for the value of a managed property is that it is there _when the bean is initialized_. That's a point in time, not a period. It doesn't have to be there all the time the managed bean lives!
But the period of all possible points of time when the session was able to be initialized is longer than the current request lifetime.  So, it is hard to determinate in what request the session was initialized and it's not a good idea to depend on it.

Specifications sometime promote "not recommended"  to "prohibited", it is matter of style.

Nebojsa
<x-tad-smaller>Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Dockx
</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>
PeopleWare NV - Head Office</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>
Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
B-2660 Hoboken
Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Fax: +32 3 448.32.66 </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-bigger>
</x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller>
PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>
Kleinhoefstraat 5
B-2440 Geel
Tel: +32 14 57.00.90