You're right, saying the app 'quit' does not convey much meaningful
information.  I've had my coffee this morning so I should be a little
better.

To begin, I have a jsf web project that works fine.  However, when I add
the following to my web.xml and redeploy the project, it's as if the
request never makes it to the servlet.  When I type (using your example)
http://localhost/test/index.jsf, or
http://localhost/test/faces/index.jsp or
http://localhost/test/faces/index.jsf, nothing happens on the server
side and no logs are generated.  However, if I type
http://localhost/test/index.jsp, the server throws the following
exception and stack trace.

At this point, I'm starting realize that this problem has less to do
with myFaces and is probably due to my relative inexperience with JSF in
general.

Thanks for your help and suggestions so far!

FINE: Can't leverage base class
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot find FacesContext
        at
javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.doStartTag(UIComponentTag.java:405)
        at
com.sun.faces.taglib.jsf_core.ViewTag.doStartTag(ViewTag.java:105)
        at
org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspx_meth_f_view_0(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:12
9)
        at
org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:105)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:322)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
        at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
        at
tionFilterChain.java:252)
        at
erChain.java:173)
        at
e.java:213)
        at
e.java:178)
        at
:126)
        at
:105)
        at
java:107)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:1
48)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:85
6)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint
.java:527)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt(LeaderFollow
erWorkerThread.java:80)
        at
.java:684)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)