You’ve answered your own question set the immediate=true property on the submit button.

I do this on our signon page where a username/password is mandatory, and yet I need a link

to let the user create a signon.

From: Dave [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2005 3:11 PM
To: users@myfaces.apache.org
Subject: SelectOneCountry, skip validation?

I have a form, let user input address information:

<t:selectOneCountry

maxLength="25" />

Once user selects country, the state selection changes based on the country selected. The form can be incomplete when user selects country, but the validation is in the execution path on the server side when submitting the form by changing the country.

How to skip the validation when users select a country? For command link, immediate="true" can be used.

Thanks, Dave

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received
this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.