There's no right answer; there are many solutions.  It just has to be
something that you can use to look up the column value for the row
object.

>From what you've said before, one possibility is to use a column data
model that contains the Integers 0 to 7 (or MaxPrivs-1).

Then you can use

Object row = rowDataModel.getRowData()
Number indexNumber = (Number)columnDataModel.getRowData()
Object row.columnValueAtIndex(indexNumber);