I've identified the source of the problem, I am going to open a JIRA
now. The top part of the examples-config.xml file is missing:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE faces-config PUBLIC
  "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JavaServer Faces Config 1.0//EN"
  "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd";>

<faces-config>

and this provokes a org.xml.sax.SAXParseException...

INFO: Reading config /WEB-INF/examples-config.xml
10/11/2005 10:37:35 org.apache.commons.digester.Digester error
SEVERE: Parse Error at line 5 column 18: Document is invalid: no grammar found.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document is invalid: no grammar found.

The file is ok in the sources, so something happens during the build process...

Regards,

Bruno