Mathias,

Before you get too far we should talk.  I've been having some ideas of
my own about refactoring that include support for an AJAX option.  I
will try to get up to speed on the latest SVN for tree2 (since I
haven't looked in quite some time) and then get back to you.

I'll try and post a detailed proposal over the weekend (perphaps sooner.)

sean