Andy,

There's many ways to do this.

Some ways you could do it:

1) Use the Shale ViewController stuff to define your backing bean to
be the controlling bean for your page.  It'd be able to receive events
like pre-render and post-render.

2) Create a phase listener that ran at pre-render and post-render phase.

3) Use a servlet filter -- this is how I manage my database
connections, but I have need for my database connection to be active
at all phases of JSF.