Simon, the div approach is working just fine.

Thanks a lot

Matias

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Kitching [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:06 PM
To: MyFaces Discussion
Subject: Re: Tree2 Best Practices.

Hi,

I'm not sure that Tiles is relevant. It allows you to compose a page
from different fragments, and easily rearrange the order in which the
fragments are output in the response.

However if you want some large JSF components (eg a tree with many
nodes) to be rendered inside a fixed-size box, with scrollbars to access

the bits of the component not currently visible then that's a different
issue.

And if you want a "split-pane" type effect on the screen so that you can

adjust the amount of visible screen allocated to different parts of the
page then that's also a different issue.

I'm not aware of any JSF components that provide either of these
features. For the first one, you might like to try wrapping the target
JSF component in a <div> with explicit size and overflow attributes:
     <t:tree2 .../>
I haven't tried this myself but it looks like it might work.

An IFrame also presents an embedded scrollable area. However an iframe
always needs to pull its content from some other URL, so you'd need to
write a separate page containing your tree component. And as this will
act within the same session but JSF1.1 doesn't support the concept of
separate "windows" within a single session I think this will lead to
major headaches; I expect the iframe page access will effectively
discard the original page's view when it sees the same session accessing

a different view-url.
     <iframe src="/width="400" height="400" scrolling="auto">
     </iframe>

Having a <t:splitPanel> component for the second option would be very
cool. However I suspect it would be quite a lot of complicated
javascript to implement (if it's possible at all). I'm willing to try to

implement this if someone will fund the development :-). Or maybe
there's some existing open-source code out there that can be used. I
would suggest looking at available JSP tag libraries; I think a standard

JSP tag would work fine with JSF tags in this case (as long as there is
no parent component with rendersChildren=true?).

Regards,

Simon