Any of these should work:

<h:outputLink target="_new" value="url"><h:outputText
value="text"></h:outputLink>
<h:commandLink target="_new" value="link name"/>
<h:commandButton target="_new" value="button text" type="submit"/>

I am not sure what output the target creates. If it uses "target" then
beware of XHTML strict as the target attribute is only to be found in
the transitional (or loose?). On a side note, any know why XHTML
strict is removing all frame, iframe, and window support? What is the
recommended way in XHTML for including sub-pages?

-Andrew