> FOP is a standard but almost
> not used, so design tools are scarce,

Some commercial products use FOP for rendering, such as Altova Stylevision and
Stylus Studio (both of which you can get free trials of).
I believe FOP is used quote a lot when it fits the scenario. The FOP site
itself does what the original poster asked - renders a PDF version of each of
its HTML pages.

> you should probably give visual
> tools in conjunction with reporting engines a shot

Altova Stylevision is a visual tool/reporting engine based on XML with FOP
integration.

Not sure about Stylus, but Stylevision I believe allows you to import an HTML
file and then generate the PDF from the result. It will also generate the XSLT
for you to plug into your favourite XML library.

FOP is undergoing a long and complete rewrite to support complex features which
were hard to do in the previous version, but the current release is fairly
stable and functional for the more basic layout tasks. If you are using complex
layouts, you will probably get frustrated. (whatever technology you use!)

Alan B.