ok for those  interested i found out that there were two jsf related jars  (ws-jsf.jar and jsf-api.jar) in websphere's lib directory i removed both of them added the missing commons jars except for commons validator and commons epl along with obviously myfaces-all.jar, changed the reference to the faces servlet in my web.xml to org.apache.myfaces.webapp.MyFacesServlet  and that fixed the problem for the time being, however, i am intrigued about the reasons for parent last class loading not working...since theoretically that should work.