If you describe how you want to manipulate the data, we might be able
to suggest a JSF-based solution.    If you need to use scriptlets and
jstl, you're probably not doing things in a JSF-compatible way.

If you are determined to use jstl or c:forEach, you might need to
upgrade to JSF 1.2 or use facelets with myfaces as there's better jstl
support using those viewhandlers.