Craig McClanahan wrote:
On 1/5/06, Laurie Harper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I was just looking at implementing a custom navigation handler. I need
to basically replace the standard implementation with my own to extend
the semantics.

I thought I'd start with the MyFaces implementation and just tweak it to
do what I need. But NavigationHandlerImpl depends on a bunch of other
MyFaces implementation classes, including ones that represent the
individual navigation rules/cases.

This leads me to suspect that there's no standard, portable way to
implement a navigation handler that *replaces* the default one rather
than just decorating it. Is that true, or are there portable equivalents
to the implementation APIs that I can use to get at the application's
navigation rules?

That's correct ... there is no standard API for getting to the navigation
rules configuration information (or the managed beans configuration
information for that matter).

Mph, damn. I guess I can always re-parse the faces-config.xml (I only need to worry about my own navigation rules), though there's some overhead in having those rules processed a second time if I delegate to the parent nav handler when I don't find a match.

I think for now I'll just tie myself to the MyFaces implementation and flag it as something I need to address if I ever need to switch back to the RI.

Thanks for the tip,

L.