Hi David!
So you never did a session.invalidate() or removed the object from the session?
 Not before your removal of the sessions
file?
No, why should I?
During development I often restart tomcat, but not more.
Once I figured out the bean is still in session scope the first idea I had was to remove the file, sure, there are a couple of ways to remove the object from the session.

After thinking about this topic even more, another solution could haven been to simply restart the browser, then the session cookie will be lost and a new session will be created.

Ciao,
Mario