On 1/18/06, Dennis Byrne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There are some folks who would say to have the bean register itself as a PhaseListener in the constructor.  In such a case, you could use PhaseEvent.getPhaseId() .

Two potential gotchas with this approach to keep in mind:

* The constructor doesn't get executed until the backing bean is
  actually instantiated, so you could miss some phases that
  occurred before that happens.

* You have to remember to deregister yourself at the end of
  the request -- no matter what happens (even exceptions
  being thrown) or you'll cause a memory leak.

I'd think about a different strategy -- register a single phase listener in a faces-config.xml file, have it listen to every phase, and then post an appropriate string documenting the current phase in a request attribute that you could examine from your backing beans.

Dennis Byrne

Craig