For those who might be interested...

FInally I solved my problem. When the dataTable is being rendered, then it uses both the row number and the col number to generate the IDs, so I made use of the rowIndexVar and var properties of DataTable and UIColumns respectively to be able to access this information at runtime through EL. Then I created a simple _javascript_ function that replaced the ID I had at my code, with the extra information of rows and cols.

Works like a charm!!!!

Thanks very much again for those who have given me help and tips ;-)

2006/1/20, Enrique Medina <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >:
I see. But it's not that exactly. Suppose I have a button associated to each INPUT object, that when clicked must perform a particular action for the value of the INPUT associated, not another...

2006/1/20, Simon Kitching <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 12:04 +0100, Enrique Medina wrote:
> Simon,
>
> The problem is that I don't know how many rows I will have, as it
> depens on the data the user enters in the normal use of the
> application.
>
> And I need to manipulate the value of the input object using
> _javascript_, but the value itself must be indicated in code the way you
> told me in your previous email. See what I mean?

So you have some component (eg a button) that when clicked needs to
perform some operation on each row of column N in a table?

Then how about having each of your (custom) components in a table emit
script like:
  <script>
    register_name_field('client-id-goes-here');
  </script>

You provide a _javascript_ function register_name_field that adds the
parameter to a list variable in the page. Result: as the html page is
processed, each such component adds its id to a list that can be
accessed later.

Regards,

Simon