On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 16:26 -0800, John wrote:
> I'm having incredible difficulty getting a managed bean to be
> instantiated.
>
> -- I've gone to a very simple JavaBean for testing.
>
> -- The managed bean XML is in faces-config.xml
>
> -- I'm using Tobago
>
> -- I'm using Tomcat 5.9 embedded within our application.
>
> The beans constructor never gets called, although the JSF page
> displays fine (except of course the beans values aren't displayed).
>
> No errors.

A managed bean is only instantiated when some expression that refers to
it is evaluated.

If you have a bean "myBean", and the page you load doesn't refer to it,
then the bean will not be created.

If the page does refer to it (eg via "#{mybean.name}") and the bean
can't be instantiated then a big exception will be thrown and you will
*definitely* not get the JSF page displayed fine.

Regards,

Simon