Volker Weber wrote:
Hi Laurie,

Laurie Harper wrote:
Thanks for the response, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I don't
need to locate and invoke an existing command link; I don't have a
command link to invoke. I need to achieve the same effect as clicking a
command link would give.

In other words, I need to write a Javascript function which, when
invoked, does the same thing the onClick handler a commandLink generates
would do.

The best I can come up with so far is to create a custom component which
extends HtmlCommandLink and overrides the encode/decode methods, but
creating a whole new component just to be able to create Javascript
onClick handlers seems rather excessive.

To invoke a action on the server you need to have a component, because
the event is created inside the decode of the component.

On the client side you need the cliendId of this Component to do the
same thing as a onClick handler of a commandLink would do.

Hmm, OK, thanks; that makes sense. So, it's either time to start wrapping Dojo widgets with JSF components, or time to learn about Shale's remoting features ;-)

L.