Ok,

but with a dataTable, there's a similar problem. Both HtmlDataTable and
HtmlPanelGrid are subclasses of UIComponentBase, and facet related methods
are defined in this superclass (e. g. getFacets()).

UIData does additionally provide convenience methods for setting the header
and the footer, as you can read in the API doc of UIData:

public void setHeader(javax.faces.component.UIComponent header) Set the
header facet of this component. A convenience method for
getFacets().put("header", header).

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/javaserverfaces/1.1_01/docs/api/javax/faces/compone
nt/UIData.html#setHeader(javax.faces.component.UIComponent)

That looks to me like the facet thing of HtmlPanelGrid and HtmlDataTable is
the same...

Regards,

Matthias